We made a wordcloud of the most-used words at SRW and it just spit back the word TIKTOK in 96 point font. That’s how we knew it was time to write this blog.
Yep, people are talking about TikTok all the time. And not just any people…old people. That’s how you know it’s time to get serious. The hooligans of SRW are passionately embracing the channel that’s gone from test budget to core priority in the blink of a pandemic. (Just check out our TikTok welcome video for proof.) We’ve been proselytizing in our client circuit at length, but here are a few fun facts to help you understand why now might be the right time for your brand to start thinking about TikTok, too.
- Users age 30 – 50+ account for 37.4 percent of total TikTok users. (Iconosquare) Don’t want your ads served to a bunch of 16-year-olds? GOOD NEWS, you can exclude them, targeting only the age groups you want to reach.
- 90 percent of TikTok users use the app daily. (Iconosquare) And for almost an hour at a time! That’s a lot of chances to reach folks. 365, to be exact.
- Yes, it’s more than dances. According to Business of Apps, popular hashtag categories on TikTok include:
- Fitness/sports – 43.3 billion views
- Beauty/skincare – 21.8 billion views
- Recipes/cooking – 12.9 billion views
- Outdoors -1.2 billion views
- There are 100 million monthly TikTok users in the US. (TikTok) That’s almost half as many as facebook. But what’s more impressive: it’s grown 85% since the start of 2020.
- 23% of US Internet Users Have Used or Seen Videos on TikTok. (Influencer Marketing Hub) TikTok infiltrates other social channels and is highly shareable. So even if you’re not on TikTok, you’re likely seeing the content.
- TikTok is returning the Highest Social Media Engagement Rates Per Post. Yep, saved that biggie for last. Influencer Marketing Hub shared the following VERY INTERESTING NUGGET:
At all follower levels, TikTok has considerably more engagement than either of the other two networks. For example, Upfluence found micro-influencers had engagement rates of 17.96% on TikTok, 3.86% on Instagram, and 1.63% on YouTube. At the other extreme, mega-influencers had engagement rates of 4.96% on TikTok, 1.21% on Instagram, and 0.37% on YouTube.
Ready to rock? So is TikTok. They’re getting ready to roll out four new ad formats, including dynamic product ads for those wondering if you can drive commerce on the platform. Don’t be afraid! TikTok is actively courting that SMB biz. Here’s how you can dip your toe in the water:
- Hire a creator. Don’t be that old fogie trying to make TikToks. Find someone who uses hashtags that relate to your brand. Send them a DM offering product and compensation, and let them make a TikTok for you.
- Launch a few ads. Carve out a slice of next month’s budget for a test. You will need to make a new ad for the platform, but there are even templates you can use on Vimeo!
- Call SRW. We didn’t write this blog for our health. Slide into our DMs and let’s get moving.
MOREJune 24, 2018
Facebook Takes Over the World: Social Video Edition
In May of 2017, Facebook made a few adjustments to the user experience that should serve as a major sign of things to come. Users started noticing changes to Facebook’s video features, primarily sound automatically playing when a video was started, and videos being interrupted in the middle by ads (which is like, super annoying). These changes were considered setbacks…Read More